From one of the current big names in marathon running:
I constantly remind myself that resting takes confidence. Anyone can train like a mad man but to embrace rest and to allow all the hard training to come out takes mental strength.
Now for some funnies* along the lines of: You Know You’re an Ultra Runner If…
- You know the location of every 7-11, public restroom, and water fountain within a 25-mile radius of your house.
- You run marathons for speed work.
- You have more fanny packs and water bottles and flashlights than Imelda Marcos has shoes.
- You visit a national park with your family and notice a thirty-mile trail connecting where you are with the place your family wants to visit next, which is a 100-mile drive away, and you think “Hmmmm”.
- Someone asks you how long your training run is going to be and you answer “seven or eight … hours”.
- People at work think you’re in a whole lot better shape than you think you are.
- You actually are in a whole lot better shape than you think you are.
Hey, if you can’t laugh about it, you really might be crazy. 🙂
*Taken from http://www.ultrunr.com/youknow.html